This policy (together with our App Terms as set out at https://starrewards.valero.com/app-terms-and-conditions/ applies to your use of:
- Texaco App mobile application software (App) hosted in the App Store and Google Play Store (App Site), once you have downloaded a copy of the App onto your mobile telephone or handheld device (Device).
- Any of the services accessible through the App (Services) that are available on the App Site or other sites of ours (Services Sites). This policy sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. This App is not intended for children and we do not knowingly collect data relating to children. Please read the following carefully to understand our practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
Important information and who we are
Valero Energy Ltd is the controller and is responsible for your personal data (collectively referred to as “Company”, “we”, “us” or “our” in this policy).
Third party links
Our Sites may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. Please note that these websites and any services that may be accessible through them have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies or for any personal data that may be collected through these websites or services, such as Contact and Location Data. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites or use these services.
The data we collect about you
We may collect, use, store and transfer different kinds of personal data about you as follows:
- Identity Data.
- Contact Data.
- Transaction Data.
- Device Data.
- Usage Data.
- Marketing and Communications Data.
- Location Data
We explain these categories of data here.
We do not collect any Special Categories of Personal Data about you (this includes details about your race or ethnicity, religious or philosophical beliefs, sex life, sexual orientation, political opinions, trade union membership, information about your health, and genetic and biometric data). Nor do we collect any information about criminal convictions and offences. If you choose to use your biometric data for ID purposes, this information is stored on your device only and is not collected or stored by the App.
How is your personal data collected?
We will collect and process the following data about you:
- Information you give us. This is information (including Identity, Contact, and Marketing and Communications Data) you consent to giving us about you by filling in forms on the App Site and the Services Sites (together Our Sites), or by corresponding with us (for example, by email or chat). It includes information you provide when you register to use the App, download or register an App, subscribe to any of our Services, search for an App or Service, and when you report a problem with an App, our Services, or any of Our Sites. If you contact us, we will keep a record of that correspondence.
- Location Data. We also use GPS technology to determine your current location. Some of our location-enabled Services require your personal data for the feature to work. If you wish to use the particular feature, you will be asked to consent to your data being used for this purpose. You can withdraw your consent at any time by disabling Location Data in your phone settings,
- Information we receive from other sources including third parties and publicly available sources. We will receive personal data about you from various third parties, as set out below:
- Device Data from the following parties:
- analytics providers ;
- advertising networks ; and
- search information providers .
How we use your personal data
We will only use your personal data when the law allows us to do so. Most commonly we will use your personal data in the following circumstances:
- Where you have consented before the processing.
- Where we need to perform a contract we are about to enter or have entered with you.
- Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests.
- Where we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation.
Click here to find out more about the types of lawful basis that we will rely on to process your personal data.
Purposes for which we will use your personal data
|Purpose/ activity||Type of data||Lawful basis for processing|
|To install the App and register you as a new App user||Identity
Performance of a contract with you
|To operate the Star Rewards Scheme||Identity
Marketing and Communications
Performance of a contract with you
|To manage our relationship with you including notifying you of changes to the App or any Services||Identity
Marketing and Communications
|Performance of a contract with you
Necessary for our legitimate interests (to keep records updated and to analyse how customers use our products/ Services)
Necessary to comply with legal obligations (to inform you of any changes to our Terms and Conditions)
|To administer and protect our business and this App including troubleshooting, data analysis and system testing||Identity
|Necessary for our legitimate interests (for running our business, provision of administration and IT services, network security)|
|Send you relevant direct marketing communications
Identify offers and make these offers to you
Understand you better to provide personalised offers and marketing communications
To monitor trends so we can improve the App
Marketing and Communications
Necessary for our legitimate interests (to develop our products/Services and grow our business)
Marketing and communications
Personal information will be collected and used to provide you with details of the Texaco Star Rewards Scheme, Points earned which includes receiving statements, services and information requested, dispatch rewards, how to use your rewards, reward usage and Account administration. It will also be used to send you Scheme Member benefits information about Star Rewards Scheme including special offers and promotions including those which may allow you to collect Points. This information will be sent by email / post and SMS/ MMS and push notification where you have opted in to receive push notifications.
You can opt out of receiving these direct marketing communications at any time by following the instructions set out in each marketing communication or by changing your preferences within your Account settings on the website/App or by contacting email@example.com
You can also choose whether to receive mobile push marketing notifications through the Texaco app – you can manage your preferences for push notifications at any time through your device’s notifications permissions settings, which is determined by your device’s operating system (either iOS or Android). If using iOS, you need to visit ‘Settings’ on your Apple device and then ‘notifications’ and select ‘Texaco to opt out of push notifications. If you are an Android user, select ‘settings’ on your device and then ‘apps’. Select Texaco Star Rewards, and Under ‘notifications’, turn the ‘show notifications’ toggle to off to opt out.
If you opt-out of receiving direct marketing communications, you will still receive essential service-related communications related to your Account and the operation of the loyalty Scheme such as Points balance updates, order confirmation emails/texts/phone calls and reminders that your Points are about to expire.
Disclosures of your personal data
- We may share your personal data with the third parties acting as processors who provide Member fulfilment services and call centre management, database management and App development.
- Service providers acting as processors based in the UK who provide IT and system administration services.
- Services providers acting as controllers in relation to redemption of vouchers and reward Points.
- Professional advisers acting as processors or joint controllers including lawyers, bankers, auditors and insurers who provide consultancy, banking, legal, insurance and accounting services.
Some of our external third parties are based outside the UK so their processing of your personal data will involve a transfer of data outside the UK.
Whenever we transfer your personal data out of the UK, we ensure a similar degree of protection is afforded to it by ensuring at least one of the following safeguards is implemented:
- We will only transfer your personal data to countries that have been deemed to provide an adequate level of protection for personal data.
- Where we use certain service providers, we may use specific contracts approved by the UK which give personal data the same protection it has in the UK.
Please contact us if you want further information on the specific mechanism used by us when transferring your personal data out of the UK.
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password that enables you to access certain parts of Our Sites, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way. We will use user authentication, data encryption, tokenisation, password management and on device biometrics.
We will collect and store personal data in your Device’s secure storage area for password authentication.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected personal data breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator when we are legally required to do so.
Please be aware that internet transmissions are never completely private or secure and that any message or information you send using the App may be read or intercepted by others, even if there is a special notice that a particular transmission is encrypted.
In some circumstances you can ask us to delete your data: see Your legal rights below for further information.
In some circumstances we will anonymise your personal data (so that it can no longer be associated with you) for research or statistical purposes, in which case we may use this information indefinitely without further notice to you.
In the event that a Star Rewards Scheme Card linked to your Account has not been swiped for an eligible purchase for a period of 24 months then we will treat the Account as expired and your personal data may be deleted.
Your legal rights
Under certain circumstances you have the following rights under data protection laws in relation to your personal data.
Please click on the links below to find out more about these rights:
- Request access to your personal data
- Request correction of your personal data
- Request erasure of your personal data
- Object to processing of your personal data
- Request restriction of processing your personal data
- Request transfer or your personal data
- Right to withdraw consent
You also have the right to ask us not to continue to process your personal data for marketing purposes.
You can exercise any of these rights at any time by contacting us using the details set out below:
Our full details are:
- Valero Energy Ltd
- Stephanie Woodhead – Privacy Lead
- Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Postal address: 1 Canada Square, London, E14 5AA
- Telephone number: 0207 513 3000
You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the UK regulator for data protection issues.
This version was last updated 21st June 2022. It may change and if it does, these changes will be posted on this page. The new policy may be displayed on-screen and you may be required to read and accept the changes to continue your use of the App or the Services.
It is important that the personal data we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your personal data changes during our relationship with you.
Consent means processing your personal data where you have signified your agreement by a statement or clear opt-in to processing for a specific purpose. Consent will only be valid if it is a freely given, specific, informed and unambiguous indication of what you want. You can withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us.
Legitimate Interest means the interest of our business in conducting and managing our business to enable us to give you the best service/product and the best and most secure experience. We make sure we consider and balance any potential impact on you (both positive and negative) and your rights before we process your personal data for our legitimate interests. We do not use your personal data for activities where our interests are overridden by the impact on you (unless we have your consent or are otherwise required or permitted to by law). You can obtain further information about how we assess our legitimate interests against any potential impact on you in respect of specific activities by contacting us.
Performance of Contract means processing your data where it is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are a party or to take steps at your request before entering into such a contract.
Comply with a legal obligation means processing your personal data where it is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation that we are subject to.
External third parties
Professional advisers acting as processors or joint controllers including lawyers, bankers, auditors and insurers based in who provide consultancy, banking, legal, insurance and accounting services.
HM Revenue and Customs, regulators and other authorities acting as processors or joint controllers based in the UK who require reporting of processing activities in certain circumstances.
Your legal rights
You have the right to:
- Request access to your personal data (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal data we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of the personal data that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate data we hold about you corrected, though we may need to verify the accuracy of the new data you provide to us.
- Request erasure or deletion of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal data where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal data where you have successfully exercised your right to object to processing (see below), where we may have processed your information unlawfully or where we are required to erase your personal data to comply with local law. Note, however, that we may not always be able to comply with your request of erasure for specific legal reasons which will be notified to you, if applicable, at the time of your request.
Contact us using any of the details below to request your data or personal data is deleted:
- Post: Freepost RTJL-BSGK-TCTJ, Star Rewards, PO Box 33, Ross on Wye, HR9 9WA
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 0800 234 6336. Calls from landlines are free. Calls made from mobile phones may be charged – check with your mobile service provider.
- Through the App, by selecting Account/Support/Contact Us
- Object to processing of your personal data where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground as you feel it impacts on your fundamental rights and freedoms. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal data for direct marketing purposes. In some cases, we may demonstrate that we have compelling legitimate grounds to process your information which override your rights and freedoms.
- Request restriction of processing of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of your personal data in the following scenarios:
- if you want us to establish the data’s accuracy;
- where our use of the data is unlawful but you do not want us to erase it;
- where you need us to hold the data even if we no longer require it as you need it to establish, exercise or defend legal claims; or
- you have objected to our use of your data but we need to verify whether we have overriding legitimate grounds to use it.
- Request the transfer of your personal data to you or to a third party. We will provide to you, or a third party you have chosen, your personal data in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format. Note that this right only applies to automated information which you initially provided consent for us to use or where we used the information to perform a contract with you.
- Withdraw consent at any time where we are relying on consent to process your personal data. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before you withdraw your consent. If you withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide certain products or services to you. We will advise you if this is the case at the time you withdraw your consent.
Description of categories of personal data
- Identity Data: first name, last name, username or similar identifier, title, date of birth (month and year only).
- Contact Data: address, email address and telephone numbers.
- Transaction Data: includes details about your rewards and how you spend them.
- Device Data: includes the type of mobile device you use, mobile network information, your mobile operating system, the type of mobile browser you use, country, time zone setting.
- Profile Data: including your username and password.
- Usage Data: includes details of your use of any of our Scheme Cards or Apps or your visits to any of Our Sites whether this is required for our own billing purposes or otherwise and the resources that you access.
- Marketing and Communications Data: includes your preferences in receiving marketing from us and our third parties and your communication preferences.
- Location Data: including your current location disclosed by GPS technology OR your IP address.