Effective 17th May 2018
Scheme and registration
2. We are under no obligation to accept any Registration Form or request to register via telephone. If the Registration Form or request to register via telephone is accepted, a Star Rewards Account (“Account”) will be activated and a Welcome Pack will be sent to the member. Details of Points earned and redeemed by the member will be recorded in their Account. We accept no responsibility for Registration Forms which are not received, or which are delayed or damaged. Proof of posting or sending online is not proof of receipt. Illegible Registration Forms or those containing incorrect details will not be accepted. In these terms and conditions, “member” means any person who has been sent a Welcome Pack and for whom we have activated an Account which is linked to their Card, after acceptance of their Registration Form or request to register with the Scheme via telephone.
3. Cards can be obtained from participating Texaco service stations, or requested via the website: www.starrewards.co.uk (“Website”) or telephone (subject to availability). Points can be collected immediately when a Card is used with qualifying purchases (as described in clause 9). REGISTRATION WITH THE SCHEME VIA POST, TELEPHONE OR ONLINE IS REQUIRED BEFORE POINTS CAN BE REDEEMED.
4. A member may request additional cards are issued for use in relation to their Account by other individuals (“additional cardholders”). Points acquired by the additional cardholders will be credited to the member’s Account to which their card is linked. We reserve the right not to issue additional cards. The member shall be responsible for ensuring that the additional cardholders are notified of and comply with these terms and conditions.
5. All Cards remain our property and must be returned to us on request or destroyed when no longer valid for use or membership terminates. Members and additional cardholders must keep their Cards secure. We will not be responsible for any lost or unauthorised use of any Card. Members must notify us of any loss, theft or unauthorised use of their Card or any additional cardholder’s Card, so that we can cancel the Card. The Card is not a charge card, cheque guarantee card, credit or debit card.
6. Points can be redeemed for rewards of the type and at the rate promoted on the Website, which may be changed at any time. A minimum number of Points may be required to make a redemption. This minimum number may be changed at any time.
7. To collect Points:
i. the Card must be given to the sales assistant at the till before each qualifying purchase begins; or
ii. where a member or additional cardholder does not have their Card with them at the time of making a qualifying purchase, the member can submit a receipt or proof of qualifying purchase to us at the FREEPOST address shown below or via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and we will credit the member’s Account with the Points earned by that qualifying purchase. POINTS WILL ONLY BE CREDITED TO THE MEMBER’S ACCOUNT IF THE RECEIPT OR PROOF OF QUALIFYING PURCHASE IS SUBMITTED WITHIN THREE MONTHS OF THE DATE OF THE QUALIFYING PURCHASE; or
iii. where a member is also a member of The Business card scheme, Points will automatically be credited to their Account when qualifying purchases are made with The Business card to which the Account is linked.
8. Sales assistants at Texaco service stations may refuse to accept a Card which is not being used in accordance with these terms and conditions.
9. Points will only be awarded on qualifying purchases. Qualifying purchases are purchases of unleaded and diesel fuel from participating Texaco service stations, excluding purchases of fuel using Fast Fuel and bunkering cards including Key Fuels and ReD. Points awarded are based upon the number of litres of fuel purchased. Points will only be awarded on every complete 1 litre of unleaded and diesel fuel purchased, at the rate specified on the Website, which may be changed at any time. Points can only be collected by a cardholder where they have made the qualifying purchases to which the Points are accredited.
10. Cards should only be used for qualifying purchases, and should not be used with any other purchases. Receipts or proof of qualifying purchases should be retained. We are entitled ask for them to be sent to us. We may need them when carrying out an audit or to verify compliance with these terms and conditions or deal with Account queries or when investigating suspected dishonest activities.
11. We can at any time vary the rate at which Points are awarded, either generally, or by specific Texaco service stations and/or by specific account types and/or for specific members and/or specific transactions. We or selected Texaco service stations may at any time undertake promotions where bonus Points are awarded or Points may be awarded at an increased rate (e.g. double Point promotions) to any selected member (which may include promotions where bonus Points may be awarded without making qualifying purchases such as upon registration or other circumstances as notified at the relevant time) for limited periods of time. Full details of these promotions including confirmation of the closing date will be published at the relevant time.
12. Members will from time to time receive communications from us in relation to the Scheme including statements with Points’ balances. Welcome Packs are usually sent out within 28 days after registration to new members.
13. In addition to statement mailings, Point balances will usually be stated on till receipts for qualifying purchases.
14. Only Points which are validly acquired on qualifying purchases in accordance with these terms and conditions can be redeemed. Points which are credited to a member’s Account can only be redeemed by the member. Points may be redeemed via the Website or by telephone, e-mail, or post. Details can be found on the Website or on the Star Rewards registration form.
15. We do not accept responsibility for postal redemption forms or redemption requests not received, or which are illegible or damaged, or for email or online redemptions which are not received. Proof of posting or sending emails or online redemptions is not proof of receipt.
16. Details of the Scheme’s rewards are set out on the Website. Rewards are subject to suppliers’ conditions which must be complied with. We have no control over suppliers’ conditions. Points may be redeemed for such rewards as may be promoted from time to time as part of the Scheme. Voucher conditions are usually on the back of the vouchers and may also be displayed on or accessed via the Website. Any supplier’s conditions in relation to non-voucher rewards shall be notified to members by the supplier and may also be displayed on or accessed via the Website.
17. Rewards are subject to availability. Should any reward become unavailable owing to a high level of demand or for any reason outside of our reasonable control, we reserve the right to substitute an alternative reward of similar value.
18. No cash will be given in lieu of any reward to any member.
19. Please allow 30 days for delivery of all rewards which are required to be dispatched. In the event rewards are not received within this timeframe, we must be notified within 3 months of the date of the redemption of the Points so that we can investigate the reason for the non delivery. In the event of failure to give notification of non delivery within the 3 month period, we shall be entitled to refuse to award rewards in relation to the respective redemption.
20. We are entitled to audit any member’s Account at any time for the purpose of verifying transactions and account details. The member’s Account will be suspended during the audit and the member will be able to collect Points during the suspension, however the member will not be able to redeem Points.
21. We may apply such reasonable restrictions, conditions or further requirements in connection with the issue or redemption of Points either generally or in respect of a particular member or additional cardholder. We have the right to require proof that Points have been acquired in accordance with these terms and conditions. We reserve the right to treat failure to provide such proof when requested as a breach of these terms and conditions and we shall be entitled to terminate membership of the Scheme.
22. We reserve the right to remove Points, refuse to award or redeem Points or supply rewards: (i) during any audit, or (ii) for any breach of these terms and conditions by the member or any additional cardholder (including before registration), or (iii) for failure by the member or any additional cardholder to pay for qualifying purchases or other transactions at a Texaco service station (including before registration), or (iv) for dishonesty or misuse or attempted misuse (including before registration) by the member or any additional cardholder in relation to the member’s or any other Account, the Scheme or their Card or any other Card.
Termination of membership
23. A MEMBER’S ACCOUNT WILL BE DEEMED CLOSED, AND ANY POINTS BALANCE ON THEIR ACCOUNT SHALL BE REMOVED, IF THERE HAS BEEN NO QUALIFYING PURCHASES FOR 12 CONSECUTIVE MONTHS IN RELATION TO THE MEMBER’S ACCOUNT.
24. Members can terminate their membership at any time by informing us and subject to these terms and conditions, they can redeem the Points earned prior to termination. Additional cardholders’ Cards will also be cancelled when the member’s Account to which their card is linked is terminated for any reason.
25. We reserve the right at any time to cancel any Card or terminate any Account without notice: (i) for legal or regulatory reasons; or (ii) in the event of the member’s or any additional cardholder’s dishonesty or misuse or attempted misuse (including before registration) in relation to their Card or any other Card, the member’s or any other Account or the Scheme (including where there are reasonable grounds for suspecting dishonesty or misuse or attempted misuse); or (iii) in the event of the member’s or any additional cardholder’s failure to comply with these terms and conditions (including before registration); or (iv) in the event of the member’s or any additional cardholders failure to pay for qualifying purchases or other transactions at a Texaco service station (including before registration); or (v) in the event of the member’s failure to comply with any request for information in relation to an audit; or (vi) any other reasonable reason. We reserve the right to end the Scheme in accordance with clause 27.
26. For the purposes of these terms and conditions, references to dishonesty, misuse or attempted misuse (including before registration) in relation to the use of any Card, any member’s Account or the Scheme, includes but is not limited to providing us with false or misleading information (including a fictitious name in relation to registration with the Scheme or the use of a Card), or claiming Points for qualifying purchases which are not the member’s or any additional cardholder’s purchases, or asking or permitting staff at Texaco service stations to credit the member’s Account with Points which have not been acquired in accordance with these terms and conditions.
Termination of scheme
27. We reserve the right to terminate the Scheme at any time. A minimum of eight weeks’ notice will be given prior to the end of the Scheme. This notice period will be communicated via promotional material in-store at participating Texaco service stations. All members will also be notified in writing. Points must be redeemed by the date which falls 28 days after the end of the eight week notice period. Points which are not redeemed by this date will be removed from members’ Accounts.
28. Who we are
This policy sets out how Valero will use your personal data.
We are committed to protecting your personal data and take the security of your information very seriously. We have strict security measures to protect your personal data. This includes robust security procedures.
If you have any concerns or would like to contact us about any aspect of this policy, please get in touch through the contact details at the bottom of this statement.
Collection and use of personal information
Personal information will be collected and used as described below. Personal information includes personal details provided in the Registration Form or during telephone registration and information regarding use of a member’s Card. Personal information, including transactional information, will be collected and used by us and by other companies, primarily our contact centre and fulfilment provider, who assist us in the administration and management of the Scheme (including collecting information from applicants and members on our behalf):
(i) to provide details of the Scheme, the Points earned which includes receiving statements, services and information requested and to dispatch rewards, account administration;
(ii) for purposes related to administration and management of the Scheme including improving the scheme; fraud prevention and detection; administration of prize draws and competitions, promotions; statistical analysis; market research;
(iii) to send you Scheme member benefits information about Star Rewards special offers and promotions including those which may allow you to collect Points.
(iv) we may also send you information about our products and services, by email, text (SMS/MMS), phone or mail which may be of interest where the member has consented to receive such information or as permitted by law.
Through these terms and conditions we enter into a contract with you for your participation in the Scheme and need your personal data to ensure we both can fulfil our obligations. Limiting the way in which we can use your personal information may affect your participation in the Scheme.
In some cases we may use your information for our own legitimate business purposes, e.g. segmenting our customers, but will always balance your rights as a customer to privacy.
Disclosure to third parties
We may disclose personal information to any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006.
We may disclose personal information to third parties:
(i) in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose applicants’ and members’ personal information to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
(ii) if we or substantially all of our assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about the applicants and members will be part of the transferred assets.
(iii) if we are under a duty to disclose or share applicants’ and members’ personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply these terms and conditions, or to protect our rights, property, or safety, or the rights, property, or safety of others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud prevention and detection including disclosure to our rewards’ suppliers, operators of Texaco service stations and other third parties. Such disclosures may take place in the course of our investigations where we suspect dishonesty, misuse or attempted misuse in relation to the use of any member’s or additional cardholder’s Card, any member’s Account or the Scheme.
(iv) to our rewards’ suppliers so that they can send information about their products and services which may be of interest where the member has consented to receive such information.
Marketing Communications and your choices
When we first collect your personal information we’ll ask you to tell us how you would like to hear from us in future about our other products and services. It’ll normally be tick boxes on forms or web page and you can change your mind at any time.
Request for information and other rights
Requests can be made to review and correct personal information collected by sending an e-mail to email@example.com. We may take steps to verify identity before providing access to personal information held about an applicant or member. You may also have rights to restrict some of the processing we have described above. If you have any questions about this or would like to exercise your rights or complain, please contact us at through the details above.
You are also able to complain to the Supervisory Authority whose details can be found here https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/
Transfer of Data and Storage
The personal information that we collect may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”). It may also be processed by staff operating outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our service providers. Such staff maybe engaged in, among other things, the fulfilment of redemption requests, and the provision of support services. Any person who submits personal data, agrees to this transfer, storing or processing. We will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that personal information data is treated securely.
Your personal information will be retained for up to 6 years following termination of your account with us.
Contact and Calls
Any queries regarding use of personal information should be sent to Star Rewards, PO Box 33, ROSS ON WYE, HR9 9WA or to firstname.lastname@example.org. Calls may be recorded from time to time for training and monitoring purposes.
Online privacy statement
Changes to the scheme and/or terms and conditions
29. We reserve the right to vary these terms and conditions on reasonable notice: (i) for the purpose of introducing new rewards, withdrawing rewards, changing what constitutes qualifying purchases or for implementing other changes to the Scheme, or (ii) for legal, business, policy or regulatory reasons, or (iii) for any other reasonable purpose.
30. We reserve the right to change the Scheme at any time, including but not limited to introducing new rewards, changing or withdrawing any rewards from the Scheme.
31. Changes to terms and conditions and/or the Scheme, shall be posted on the Website and may also be notified to members in writing. Participation in the Scheme (including collection and/or redemption of Points) after changes to terms and conditions and/or the Scheme have taken place constitutes acceptance of such changes. The most up to date terms and conditions are displayed on the Website as printed terms which may be in circulation may be out of date.
32. Any reference in these terms and conditions to “in writing” or “written” shall mean letter or email. Any correspondence or notice sent by us will be sent to the last postal or email address provided by the member. Notices to members may be given in writing, or by posting details on the Website or communicating via material in-store at participating Texaco service stations. Members must inform us of any changes to their personal details including name, postal or email address.
33. Our decision regarding cancellation of any Card or termination of any Account is final.
34. These terms and conditions are governed by the laws of England and Wales are subject to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
35. The Points of a deceased member can be transferred to beneficiaries under their estate if written evidence of death with the membership details of the deceased member is sent to us at the address below.
36. TEXACO, STAR REWARDS and the STAR T logo are registered trademarks owned by Chevron Intellectual Property LLC. Used with permission.
37. Our Contact details
a. Post: Freepost RTJL-BSGK-TCTJ, Star Rewards, PO Box 33, ROSS ON WYE, HR9 9WA
c. FREEPHONE: 0800 234 6336 (Note: Calls made from mobile phones will be charged by service provider)